Saturday, February 5, 2011
Friday, February 4, 2011
Thursday, February 3, 2011
A piece created for an assignment from a class I took two year ago. We had to create multiple copies of a playing card design using screen printing. The card had to have a proper front and back, and we had to use at least two different colors of ink. Then, once the assignment was completed, we would turn in our cards and instead of receiving them back after grading, everyone's cards would be traded around and given to others.
I decided to go with the Joker, and use black and red since they go together well and don't require any mixing of new colors of ink. I tried to play with the themes of yin/yang, reflections and duality, and I made a point to incorporate the symbols of the four suits of the cards somehow.
This is the photoshop image I used to make my print, not the actual print itself; since I didn't get any of my own card prints back, so I didn't have any to scan. However, I did get a bunch of cool cards that my classmates had created.
A print created for an assignment for a class I took about two years ago. We had to use three different colors of ink, and print each of them using separately carved pieces of wood or linoleum. On a note of interest, it was while working on carving the images for this print that I sliced my thumb open with my carving tools. Ink on paper.
Two lithographic prints created for a class I took about two years ago. They're the first two litho pieces I ever made, which is why they're a bit simple and rough. Inspired a little by goddesses. Ink on paper.
These are drawings from an art class in which we had to make portraits of our classmate that were "dynamic" rather than "realistic", in that they used some techniques of caricature involving emphasizing certain features. What was interesting was that my dynamic portraits look more recognizably like the people I drew than the realistic portraits. Vine charcoal and charkole on newsprint.