Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Study of a Roommate: Sketch from Life



A drawing of a certain roommate who is very patient and good at keeping still, bless her. Also a surprising challenge to draw - she looked like she should be about as easy to draw as any other person, but I felt like there was some sort of... entropic energy keeping me from easily being able to draw her - I started 3 other sketches and threw them aside before I made this one. I don't know if that feeling I got was some sort of perception I got off of her (since she's a very energetic person) or just my addled, stressed and not-used-to-being-told-to-make-art-lately brain being cross with me.

I remember a few other people like that, who I thought I ought to be able to draw perfectly fine, and yet I just couldn't capture them, or it took a lot of work. One was a classmate, this boy with a face that was all fascinating angles and shadows, and I tried so hard to draw him but it all came out rubbish. I got a similar sort of feeling from him as I did her, a little touch of a... creative chaos? That's the only way I could describe it.

I really should start paying attention to what my intuition tells me about the people that are easy or hard for me to draw, and what about them, or me, or my perceptions of them might be effecting the level of ease. I'm curious as to whether there are any correlations or patterns or something.

In any case, all's well that ends in a decent sketch!

No comments:

Post a Comment